Friday, February 1, 2013

How to stop a bloody nose FAST!

STAT ANSWER: A drop of Young Living's Idaho Balsam Fir oil across the bridge of the nose while staving off the bleeding with a tissue.


Ok, whew! Now that you have dealt with the situation at hand, you may be wondering how I figured this mothering solution out, considering that the most common solution offered for  stopping a nose bleed is to apply ice and pinch the nose until the bleeding stops (which can take up to 15 mins).

Without getting into it too deeply, I had just returned from a subtropical vacation where my body had been used to temperatures ranging from the high 70's to the low 100's with the humidity in the 80% range. Upon our return, the Mid-Atlantic Region of the US was blasted with a very dry and very cold front.  The dryness and cold was more that my poor nose could take and I awoke to what the medical community refers to as epistaxis and our family calls a "gusher." As Murphy's Law would have it, I was on a tight schedule that morning and needed to shower and ready myself for an important meeting.  I knew that the heat of a shower would be the last thing to stop the bleeding, so in time-conscious desperation, I opened my medicine cabinet hoping to find a quick fix and my eye caught the Idaho Balsam Fir bottle. Just then a memory came to me: Idaho Balsam Fir was what a friend had used to stop the bleeding she experienced as result of a kitchen knife accident.

"Just two drops on the cut had stopped the bleeding almost instantaneously!" She had said.

. . . it worked! I put a drop on my finger,  brushed my oiled finger across the bridge of my nose and could feel the blood stop trickling. I cautiously removed the tissue to check and the bleeding had stopped! I tentatively got in the shower expecting a possible relapse, and none occurred! I finished the shower, dressed and left for the meeting arriving on time a half an hour later.  I was so impressed by these results, I had to share this simple solution with the rest of you, especially those mothers out there who, like me, have a child (or in my case, have 2 children) who get nose bleeds all the time.

Aside from the the mess and the inconvenience of a nose bleed, in this day of awareness over blood-borne illnesses, schools, camps and athletics programs have become even more concerned to have a child in their care with frequent, profuse nose bleeds.  I have always felt it was right to let the people caring for my children in these situations know what to expect and how to handle it. So, historically, my answer on school, athletic and camp medical forms to the question; "Are there any medical conditions we should know about?" was always the same: "My child has frequent, unexplained and profuse nosebleeds; he does NOT have a bleeding disorder.  He is accustomed to handling the bleeding, just make sure you always have plenty of tissues or paper towels on hand." Now,  I also send them to school, camp or an activity with a bottle of Idaho Balsam Fir oil and some tissues. They are able to stop the nose bleed almost immediately! I have also added a bottle of the oil to each of the first aid kits our family has at home and uses for travel.  It is a great addition!!

PS. Another great addition to your family's first aid kit is Young Living's Geranium oil (pictured above with Idaho Balsam Fir). It is wonderful for reducing bruising immediately after impact and for fading an already existing bruise fast.


Hello and welcome!! Thank you for checking out my blog! I am so grateful to be able to share with you solutions to the everyday challenges that face mothers and the "tools" I use for keeping my family healthy and happy.  Would you like a simple mothering solution offered to you? Leave a comment and let me know what you need :)













No comments:

Post a Comment